Are you an avid anime fan who relies on Crunchyroll for your daily dose of Japanese animation? If so, you know how important subtitles are for enjoying your favorite shows. But what do you do when those subtitles suddenly stop working? Don’t panic just yet! In this troubleshooting guide, we’ll walk you through several methods to fix the issue and get those subtitles back on track. From simple solutions like toggling subtitles on and off to more advanced techniques like clearing cache and cookies, we’ve got you covered. So grab your popcorn and let’s dive in to solve the mystery of Crunchyroll subtitles not working!
Possible Causes of Crunchyroll Subtitles Not Working
There are several reasons why Crunchyroll subtitles may not be working properly. Understanding these causes can help us identify the appropriate solutions. Here are some common factors that can affect subtitle functionality on Crunchyroll:
- Glitches in the Crunchyroll Video Player: Technical issues within the Crunchyroll video player itself can sometimes lead to subtitles not appearing or functioning correctly.
- Software or Firmware Issues: Outdated software or firmware on your streaming device, such as a smart TV, streaming stick, or gaming console, can cause compatibility problems with Crunchyroll subtitles.
- Subtitle File Errors: Subtitle files may contain errors, be incomplete, or have synchronization issues, resulting in subtitles not displaying as intended.
- Browser or App Compatibility: Certain web browsers or versions of the Crunchyroll app may not be fully compatible with subtitle rendering, leading to issues with subtitle display.
- User Settings or Preferences: Incorrect settings or preferences within the Crunchyroll account or player settings can affect subtitle visibility.
Now that we understand the possible causes, let’s move on to the troubleshooting methods to fix Crunchyroll subtitles not working.
Method 1: Toggle Subtitles On and Off
A simple yet effective solution is to toggle the subtitles on and off. This can help refresh the subtitle display and resolve any temporary glitches. Here’s how you can do it:
- While watching a video on Crunchyroll, locate the settings cog icon in the bottom left corner of the video player.
- Click on the settings cog icon to open the settings menu.
- In the settings menu, find the subtitle options and select “None” to turn off the subtitles.
- Wait for about 10 seconds and then select your desired language to turn the subtitles back on.
Check if this resolves the issue of Crunchyroll subtitles not working.
Method 2: Update the Crunchyroll App
If you’re using the Crunchyroll app on a streaming device, it’s important to keep the app updated. Developers frequently release updates to address bugs and improve functionality. Here’s how you can update the Crunchyroll app:
- Access the app store on your streaming device (e.g., Google Play Store for Android devices, App Store for iOS devices, Microsoft Store for Windows devices).
- Search for the Crunchyroll app in the app store’s search bar.
- If an update is available, you will see an “Update” button. Tap or click on it to update the app to the latest version.
- Once the update is complete, relaunch the Crunchyroll app and check if the subtitles are working correctly.
Method 3: Disable VPNs or Proxy Servers
Using a VPN or proxy server can sometimes interfere with Crunchyroll’s subtitle functionality. These tools can alter your IP address or network settings, causing issues with subtitle display. Try disabling your VPN or proxy server and check if the subtitles start working. Here’s how you can disable VPNs or proxy servers:
- Locate the VPN or proxy server software on your device.
- Temporarily disable the VPN or proxy server by turning off the corresponding settings or closing the software.
- After disabling the VPN or proxy server, refresh the Crunchyroll page or relaunch the app to see if the subtitles are now working.
Method 4: Clear Cache and Cookies
Clearing the cache and cookies of your web browser or app can help resolve issues caused by stored data conflicts or corrupted files. Here’s how you can clear cache and cookies on different platforms:
On Web Browsers:
- Open your web browser (e.g., Chrome, Firefox, Safari).
- Access the browser’s settings menu.
- Look for options related to clearing browsing data, cache, or cookies.
- Select the appropriate options and clear the cache and cookies.
- Restart the browser and navigate back to Crunchyroll to check if the subtitles are now visible.
On Mobile Apps:
- Open the settings menu on your mobile device.
- Locate the app settings or application manager.
- Find the Crunchyroll app in the list of installed apps.
- Tap on the Crunchyroll app and look for options to clear cache and data.
- Select the appropriate options to clear the cache and cookies.
- Restart the app and check if the subtitles are now working.
Method 5: Try a Different Browser or Device
Sometimes, issues with Crunchyroll subtitles can be browser or device-specific. If you’re experiencing problems on a particular browser, try accessing Crunchyroll through a different browser. Similarly, if the issue persists on a specific device, try using another device to see if the subtitles work correctly. This can help determine if the problem is isolated to a particular browser or device.
Method 6: Check for Subtitle Updates
Subtitles are an essential part of the anime-watching experience, and if they’re not working on Crunchyroll, it can be frustrating. One potential solution to this issue is to check for subtitle updates.
Sometimes, subtitles may not work properly due to outdated or incorrect files. In such cases, checking for subtitle updates can help resolve the problem. To do this, start by accessing the settings menu within your Crunchyroll app or website.
Look for an option that allows you to update or refresh subtitles. Click on it and wait for the process to complete. This will ensure that you have the most recent version of subtitles available.
It’s important to note that Crunchyroll regularly adds new episodes and content from various anime series. As a result, subtitle files may need updating to match these additions. By checking for updates, you can ensure that your subtitles are in sync with the latest episodes released.
Method 7: Contact Crunchyroll Support
If none of the above methods resolve the issue of Crunchyroll subtitles not working, it’s time to reach out to Crunchyroll’s support team. They have dedicated customer service representatives who can provide further assistance and guidance. Visit the Crunchyroll support website or their social media channels for instructions on how to contact them. Be sure to provide detailed information about the specific anime, episode, and subtitle problem you’re facing so that they can assist you more effectively.
Alternative Options to Enjoy Anime with Subtitles
If you continue to experience persistent issues with Crunchyroll subtitles, there are alternative options available to enjoy anime with subtitles. Consider exploring these options if you’re unable to resolve the problem on Crunchyroll:
- Third-Party Subtitle Sources: Various third-party sources provide subtitles contributed by dedicated anime fans and communities. These sources offer subtitles in multiple languages, allowing you to find subtitles that suit your preferences. Exercise caution and choose reliable sources to ensure accurate and high-quality translations.
- Fan-Made Subtitles: Anime enthusiasts often create fan-made subtitles for popular anime series. These subtitles can be found on anime forums, subreddits, or dedicated fan websites. While these subtitles may not always be professionally translated, they can be a viable option when experiencing issues with Crunchyroll’s subtitles. Verify the reliability and accuracy of fan-made subtitles before using them.
- Other Streaming Services: If Crunchyroll subtitles continue to pose problems, consider exploring other streaming services that offer a wide selection of anime series with their subtitle options. Platforms like Funimation, Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video provide a range of anime content with subtitles. Check the subtitle options before subscribing to ensure they meet your requirements.
- Language Learning Apps and Websites: Language learning apps and websites often offer anime content with subtitles designed specifically for language learners. These subtitles are available in both the original language and the learner’s native language, facilitating comprehension and language practice simultaneously. While the focus may be on language learning, it can be an interesting way to enjoy anime while improving your language skills.
When using alternative options for subtitles, it’s important to prioritize legal and licensed sources whenever possible. Be aware that third-party sources and fan-made subtitles may not adhere to copyright regulations, so use them responsibly.
FAQs: Troubleshooting Crunchyroll Subtitles
How do I get subtitles to work on Crunchyroll?
If Crunchyroll subtitles aren’t showing up, try these steps: Check for glitches in the video player, update the Crunchyroll app, toggle subtitles on and off, and clear cache/cookies. These methods usually fix the issue. If not, consider other streaming options or contact Crunchyroll support.
Why can’t I find English subtitles on Crunchyroll?
If English subtitles are missing, it might be due to a technical glitch or issues with your account settings. Try toggling subtitles on and off, clearing cache/cookies, and ensuring you’re using a compatible browser or app version. If the problem persists, reach out to Crunchyroll support.
Why does Crunchyroll not have closed captioning?
While Crunchyroll offers subtitles in various languages, closed captioning (CC) may not be available for all content. Subtitles are the primary method for translating dialogue and providing context. If CC is essential for you, consider checking alternative streaming services that provide this feature.
Does Crunchyroll have different subtitles?
Yes, Crunchyroll provides subtitles in multiple languages for a wide range of anime content. You can usually select your preferred subtitle language while watching a video. If you’re encountering issues with subtitles not displaying correctly, refer to the troubleshooting methods in this guide.
Is Funimation or Crunchyroll better?
The choice between Funimation and Crunchyroll depends on your preferences. Crunchyroll is known for its diverse anime library and subtitle options. Funimation specializes in English-dubbed anime. Consider your language preference and content availability when deciding between the two.
How do I turn on captions on Crunchyroll mobile?
To enable captions on the Crunchyroll mobile app:
- Start playing a video.
- Tap the screen to bring up the player controls.
- Look for the subtitle icon (often represented by “CC”).
- Tap the icon to access subtitle options.
- Choose your desired subtitle language.
Remember that the availability of subtitle options may vary depending on the specific video you’re watching.
You May Also Read: